Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Kidney Infection Updates

Claire's fever still hasn't broken so they tried again last night to place an IV so that we could, again, try to start a course of IV antibiotics. They have a special IV team here and since she had already had so many failed attempts yesterday, they came to place it. They gave it everything they had but after a full hour of trying [+ Claire screaming, and it taking everything in me not to cry too!] we had to move to yet another back-up plan. It just boils down to that with all that she's been through, all of her "good" veins have already been used and there just isn't anything left. So instead, she got injected antibiotics again early this morning (in her muscle), at a higher dose than yesterday's to hopefully start to make a dent in the infection.

She got a renal/bladder ultrasound yesterday morning which had some abnormal findings so we had a follow-up study, called a VCUG this morning. Claire was not a fan at all.

We had a little bit of a rough night. Her fever is still topping out in the mid to high 103s and she had another episode of vomiting but, overall, she IS looking better this morning and the fevers are coming down with Tylenol (but coming back up when it wears off).

Now that the full urine culture has come back and they know exactly what bacteria we are fighting, our hope is that we might get to go home today. The good thing about so many familiar faces is that they all know how much time we spend here and are motivated to get us back home again. As long as the medication that they decide that she needs can be given orally and they feel like she is responding well to the second injected dose she received. Then we could follow up concerning her kidney anatomy and function (and her recovery) as an outpatient. 

Thank you for praying.  We need to see that the medication is starting to make a dent in this infection!


***And, if you could pray also ... I was already fighting a cough/ear ache/headache thing but now that we are here and I haven't been able to sleep, it's getting considerably worse. I need to not be sick so that I can take care of Claire, she can NOT get sick (we are still only 4 weeks out from OHS) and it would break my heart to not be able to cuddle with her during her recovery. [[Plus I think the nurses are probably secretly cringing inside while I cough all over the place]].  Thank you <3.


Philippians 4:4-7, 10-13
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

"I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."


Be encouraged friends <3.  

Not our usual happy girl :(
Lots of cuddles!
Trying to get some sleep before they
wake her up for more "torture"

No comments:

Post a Comment